Mifeprex most commonly known as the Abortion Pill is used to end an early pregnancy. The earlier you are in the pregnancy, the less bleeding and cramping you will have. At Houston Women’s Clinic you receive pain medication pain along with detailed instructions on how the process works. We advise taking the pain medication before you begin the process to keep the cramping under control.
The procedure is very safe and easy if performed by 10-11 weeks from the last menstrual period.
Most commonly known as vacuum aspiration, is performed after we give you oral sedation (pills) to help you relax and IV pain relieving medication. A very small plastic tube about 1/10 of an inch is used to remove the pregnancy from the uterus with gentle vacuum. The way Dr. Rosenfeld performs a vacuum aspiration usually takes less than one minute with very little to no pain.
Surgical abortions can be done up to 16 weeks.
We encourage each patient to ask all their questions, discuss their options with our counselor, and to take their time and not rush to make a decision. Law mandates the first appointment with ultrasound and counseling be 24 hours before the second appointment when the abortion (medical or surgical) is performed. It is not only the law, but an excellent way to ensure patients have time to reflect on thier choice.
At Houston Women’s Clinic, we have always trusted women to make their own decisions without government intrusion. However, the State of Texas has imposed regulations on abortion that include 24-hour consent and sonogram. This means you will need to make 2 appointments. First appointment is for a consult and sonogram with the doctor. You may return for the procedure or pill the following day or any day at least 24 hours later.
The law also states that we must provide the following information to you at least 24 hours before your abortion.
- Complaints about this facility may be registered at the following address: Director, Health Facility Licensing and Compliance Division, Texas Department of State Health Services, 1100 West 49th Street, Austin, Texas 78756. Complaints must be in writing. All complainants must provide their name and this information will be confidential.
- The toll free number to the Texas Department of State Health Services is 1-888-973-0022. You have the right to access certain information about this abortion facility by using this number. If you make a call, your identity will remain anonymous. They can tell you:
– Whether this abortion facility is licensed by the Texas Department of State Health Services
– The date of the last inspection of this facility by the department and any violations of law or rules discovered during that inspection that may pose a health risk to you.
– Any relevant fine, penalty, or judgment rendered against this facility or a doctor who provides services at this facility.
- You can call the department at 1-888-973-0022. The department’s “A Woman’s Right to Know” materials can be viewed on their website.